Arcade G. Boivin II 1957

1957 Class Crest

Cullum No. 21324 • Sep 13, 2015 • Died in Concord, MA

Interred in St. Bernard’s Cemetery, Concord, MA

« Back to Search   

On September 13, 2015, at the age of 79, after a courageous battle with cancer, the Class of 1957 lost a true friend and inspirational leader. Born on November 26, 1935 in Cohoes, NY to Lionel and Alma Boivin, Arcade George Boivin went to high school at LaSalle Military Academy. He excelled at sports, particularly football, and was later inducted into the LaSalle Institute of Troy Hall of Fame.

Arcade came to West Point on a congressional appointment. He had no problem adjusting to the rigors of plebe year and quickly established himself as a strong but quiet member of Company H-2 living in the “Lost Fifties.” Company H-2 was always proud of living in the last two divisions of barracks furthest from the Academic buildings. During his 50th Class Reunion, Arcade and an unnamed classmate, made a sojourn to the old division and, with the kind assistance of a cadet, were able to see one of the rooms they occupied as cadets. When his class became “firsties,” Arcade made captain and was appointed company commander of H-2. As the company commander, Arcade led with a good-natured but firm approach. In addition, he was elected by his companymates to be the company honor rep on the Cadet Honor Committee. He was obviously held in the highest esteem by all in H-2.

For four years Arcade was the quarterback on the B Squad football team. For three of those years, he ran the plays of upcoming opposing teams for the A Squad football team. He was truly an unsung hero facing off every week during football season against the A Squad. In addition to football, Arcade served as a Catholic Chapel acolyte all four years. The highlight was serving Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City with Cardinal Spellman presiding during Arcade’s First Class year.

It was while Arcade was a cadet that his companymates noted his interest in a very pretty young lady named Jane Buckley. They were engaged at West Point and married in Albany, NY on July 27, 1957. They went on to welcome into the world 4 wonderful daughters, 3 devoted sons, and 15 beautiful grandchildren.

Arcade initially chose Infantry for his branch and, after jump school and Ranger School, served with the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC. The family then moved to Panama for three years. Arcade was reunited with several West Point classmates and was the first to be selected to command a company in the 2nd Battle Group of the 10th Infantry. His leadership ability was recognized early on, and it was one of the many “firsts” in his Army career. His company was selected to test the then new AR15 Rifle in a jungle environment. This was a major effort with high-level interest. Arcade was pushed in many directions to support certain viewpoints, but he conducted the tests and reported the results with the best interest of the Infantry soldier as his primary concern.

In 1963, desiring to attend graduate school, he transferred to the Engineer Branch and attended the Engineer School at Fort Belvoir, VA. He then went on to earn his master’s degree at Purdue University in 1965. This was followed by his first tour in Vietnam with MACV. Then it was back to West Point for the family as Arcade was assigned as an instructor in the ES&GS Department from 1967 until 1970. Once again he was called upon to return to Vietnam for another tour with MACV.

After a year with CAG at Fort Leavenworth, KS, he was selected to attend the Command and General Staff College, graduating in 1973. He was then assigned to the New England Engineer Division, where he served from 1973 until his retirement in 1979. While with the New England Engineer Division, Arcade was involved in managing the flood control systems throughout New England, participated in numerous hearings on waterfront development and pollution control, and oversaw projects to improve New England waterways. During the Blizzard of 1978, he was required to be at the Weymouth Emergency Management Center. With 28 inches of snow, there was no way to traverse the 25 miles from home, so the Army sent a halftrack to pick him up.

After retirement from the U.S. Army, Arcade went to work in the Boston area as a project manager for Raytheon Corporation. This was followed by positions at Stone and Webster, a civil engineering firm, first as a project manager and later as chief security officer. His work was highly valued and earned praise from all his coworkers.

Upon retirement, Arcade dove into woodworking, in which he had always had an interest. His projects included rocking horses, a rocking motorcycle, and many unique toys for his grandchildren. He was also dedicated to his church, as a deacon and Eucharistic minister at Our Lady Help of Christians and Holy Family Catholic Churches. These interests dovetailed into making a pamphlet rack, candle holders, and other articles for the churches.

In late 2013, Arcade was diagnosed with lung cancer. He fought the valiant fight but, as with so many cancer victims, ultimately succumbed. A funeral Mass was held at Holy Family Parish, and he was interned at St. Bernard’s Cemetery on September 18, 2015 in Concord, MA.

Arcade was a true leader of soldiers. He was a devout Catholic, a family man through and through, a loving husband and father, and a joy to his grandchildren. He will be remembered and sorely missed by his family, his classmates, and his many friends. He is survived by his sweetheart of over 58 years, Jane; his daughters: Ellen, Jacqueline, Joan, and Renee; his sons: Michael, Joseph, and Peter; and his 15 grandchildren.

— John Ramsden, Classmates, and Family

Gifts made in memory of a loved one will appear on the Memorial Gift webpage within 24 hours. For more information on memorial giving at West Point or to order a complimentary commemorative page, please phone 845-446-1655 or email: