George H. Cameron, Major General, United States Army, retired, died at his home in Staunton, Va. Born in Ottawa, IL., January 8, 1861, he was a son of Dwight Forest and Fanny Norris Cameron. After attending schools in Europe and Northwestern University for a year. General Cameron entered the United States Military Academy at West Point as a cadet July 1, 1879. Upon graduation in June 1883 he was commissioned a second lieutenant of cavalry and assigned to the Seventh regiment at Fort Meade, Dakota territory. He remained at that station on frontier duty until July 1887 when he was transferred to Fort Riley, Kans.
He served as assistant professor of drawing at the Military Academy at West Point during two assignments; saw service in two campaigns in the Philippines, and did outstanding work organizing the Cavalry school at Fort Riley. He was promoted to captain in 1889 and to major in 1909.
In August 1913 he was detailed as a student at the Army War College, Washington; upon graduation was retained as an instructor, and, following his superior work, was appointed commandant of the college. During this period he was promoted first to lieutenant colonel and thence to colonel. He later commanded the Fifth cavalry, the Third brigade, Twenty-fifth cavalry, and, having been promoted to brigadier general on August 5, 1917, was transferred to Camp Kearny, Calif., to command the Eightieth brigade of the fortieth division, which division he commanded later that year.
General Cameron was promoted to major general December 4, 1917, and proceeded to Camp Greene, N. C., to command the Fourth division. He organized and trained and took the division into action in France, where it gained instant success. In 1918 he was given the command of the Fifth corps which played an important part in the final campaigns of the war.
Returning to the United States, General Cameron commanded Camp Gordon, Ga., and later served as Commandant of the Cavalry School, Fort Riley, and as chief of staff of the seventy-sixth Division. At his own request he was retired in 1924 after more than forty years of service.
General Cameron was decorated by both the French and British governments for his services in France. Britain awarded him the British Order of the Bath, while France awarded him the Croix de Guerre, and the Legion of Honor.
General and Mrs. Cameron made their home at Fishers Island, N.Y. spending their winters in Washington, D.C. The last two years they have resided in Staunton, Virginia to be near their two daughters.
He Ii survived by his widow, Mrs. Nina Tilford Cameron, two daughters, Mrs. Nina Cameron Thompson, wife of Brigadier General J. B. Thompson of the 7th Armored Div., and their two children, Jacqueline C. Thompson and Cameron Thompson; Mrs. Margaret C. Creel, wife of Lt. Col. Buckner M. Creel, Commandant, Staunton Military Academy, and their five children, Margaret C. Creel, United States Marine Corps Women's Reserves, Lt. Buckner M. Creel, III, U.S. Army, Cornelia T. Creel, Tilford C. Creel, George C. Creel. His only son Lt. Douglass T. Cameron was killed in action near Nouait, France on November 3, 1918.
The funeral was held at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va.